Rare albums from EBONEE WEBB & SHOCK

This Space is primary for the Foreign People : Talk here with us in English cause "One Nation Under a Groove..." :o)
Wonder B
Bibliothèque Nationale

Messagepar Wonder B » 13/03/06 16:10

No Oregon is not on the list of places AF flies to... but I wish it would happen...
Wonder B
Sworn to fun
Loyal to none

skyyflow
LP's

Messagepar skyyflow » 17/03/06 12:58

charly a écrit :Produced by Steve and Roger Sause. Roger's brother Steve produces and makes part of the additionnal musicians. He will be plenty part of band from 1981 on with also introducing Marlon Mc Clain in the production and Guitar's section.

... introducing : the magician
http://www.fpzmultimedia.com/wmv/marlon.wmv

:PDT_08:

charly

Messagepar charly » 17/03/06 16:06

A few years ago, I wrote a few words about Marlon for a sister web site called Fonkadelica but it was in french. A few things have changed (Marlon is a bit older, The web site Majorhitsrecords.com doesn't exist anymore...) but it was nice to interview Marlon "Mr Magician" McClain...A very kind man!!! Here is the english version for Funkhome...

Marlon McClain.....does this name make sense to you? Of course well, you’re all of you funky connsoisseurs, aren’t you?

Native from Portland, Oregon, he was born on 08 august 1955 in the happy united family with his mother Jacqueline Jackson and his father Bill McClain. Marlon McClain, at 49 years old, is obviously a happy man.

It was christmas evening in 1968 when he got his first guitar . He basically thaught himself how to play from listening to records and studying Mel Bay guitar books. Well, it apparently worked for him...

Adolescent, he loved listening to Jimi Hendrix, Terry Kath of the group Chicago and all guitarists that played for James Brown. A predilection, who knows ? ?

A few years later he creates with his friend Nathaniel Phillips (well, this name reminds you something, somewhere, sometimes...I knew it) a band that they called « Shades of Soul ». A bit later, they merge with another local band the « Soulmasters » and become the famous « PLEASURE » . We all know the story of this band from 1975 until 1982 with the 4th Lp « Future Now » being the most successful. Let’s remark that jewels like « Dust Yourself Off » in 1975 and « Accept no substitutes » in 1976, both on the label Fantasy (6 from 7 albums have been released on Fantasy) are now real pieces of collection with a not inconsiderable value . Under 40 or 50.00 USD/Eurs at least, it becomes difficult to find them in original and mint condition . PLEASURE, a very progressive band, was in fact the result of a talentuous mixture of Funk, Jazz and Rock. They became real good friends with musicians like Earth, Wind & Fire, Grover Washington, George Benson, The Crusaders etc,....Of course this communion of musical genres has made them grow on a musical and human point of view. Marlon says : « The experience of being in a band that starts in a basement and winds up performing in Coliseums is fantastic. It’s nothing like having your fans accept your music »

In 1981, Marlon releases his first and only solo album : « Changes ». Actually, Marlon prefers staying behind the mix table, writing and producing for other artists. In 82, he produces Jeff Lorber ( Jeff Lorber Fusion) and the band Shock (Again a band at the Top of funk of the eighties) and at the same time he’s developping news talents from the North-West of the United States. Marlon : « My Focus was not on myself, I feel like being behind the scence and working with other artist as a writer and or producer »

Two years later, Marlon moves to Los Angeles. He felt like calling one friend of his, Reggie Andrews ! At that time, Reggie is the producer, among others, of the Dazz Band. A stroke of luck made that the band was looking for a new guitarist. Wat a coincidence ! ! ! Without any hesitation, Marlon calls Bobby Harris, leader of the band, in Cleveland. Bobby knows Marlon from his work with Jeff Lorber, Pleasure and Maurice White. The deal is in the bag! Marlon became a member of the Dazz Band via a simple phone call. Amazing ! And since then they’re working together... Between 88 and 95, they’re standing a bit back for a better jump with the heavy funk album « Under the Street lights ».

In 1998, while they’re in session at the Dallas Austin’s studios in Atlanta, a certain George Clinton (George who ? ), working in a neighbour studio heard them working on « Ain’t nothing but a Jam, Ya’ll ». He liked what he’s hearing and got involved, just like that on the spot . Marlon : « George Clinotn is without a doubt funky and an incredible person to work with and to be around, he exudes funk, personality and and a mind that borders on insanity with an attachment of genius mixed in.»

(James Alexander, George Clinton et Ulysses Tucker)

In 1988, on the label Panoramic, Marlon McClain is developping, just for fun, with his lieflong friend Nathaniel Philipps, a little project that would be called « FRANCHISE : Dangerous». That has been the only album that the band made but is now for sure a piece of collection. This project is a bit similar to what Marlon, Nate and Jeff Lorber are working on and that would be called « Shades of Soul ». It’s a return to basics just like in the time of Pleasure when they put ideas down like that one after the others letting the music flow. They’re working on that project for 3 years now and hope to be able to conclue next year in 200 (Scoop).

6 or 7 years ago Marlon and Bobby worked hard in the creation of their own label : Major Hits Records. It’s a huge challenge, isn’t it ! The goal of both partners is to try and keep their type of music going strong in the USA and around the world. Marlon : « It has been a struggle but we are up to the challenge»

At the same moment Bobby confides he has a concept in mind for a long time : « To gather several bands with a similar musical genre and having strength in numbers, together as one, they could get industry attention. » Of course it’s a good idea, thinks Marlon. So they start talking to other groups in their genre. Why not ? Is the answer. Finally they are able to put the first record of the United Funk Allstars together with anthologies of Funk like Rick James, The Gap band, Dazz Band, Bar-Kays, Confunkshun, SOS Band, Roger Troutman (R.I.P.) et The System.

Reather Bryant, Ulysses Tucker, Marlon McClain, Terry McGill & Bobby Harris

Gathering under the same flag so many Funk pioneers was a bid of power.. Actually in the US they had the support of radio host, Tom Joyner. Tom Joyner has a morning radio show that reaches millions of listeners everyday. And that worked...

About a United We Funk (UWF) project, you have to know that a DVD will be released very soon. Keep in touch....we’ll keep you posted

Marlon and his friends have already tried very hard to come to Europe but so far without success. Many, many things to think about and to do with the label, sessions with the bands, the concerts in the US, the DVD, etc.... but hopefully, when the DVD is released, they will be able to back it up with a tour and let the fans feel 2 hours and ½ of non-stop Funk.

If you want to know more about the adventures of Marlon « the Magician » McClain in the land of Funk, please feel free to visit www.majorhitsrecords.com.. You’ll get the opportunity to listen in Mp3 format remixed version of « Starship » from the Dazz Band album « Time Traveller » which will be re-released very soon with some new bonus cuts. Moreover , if you feel like buying some their productions you can click on the shopping section and, why not, order the different releases available at a very attractive price.

In conclusion, let us give the word to our guest Marlon : « I think that the European fans are fantastic and I look forward to seeing them in person real soon. So keep it Real and Stay Funky ». No need to be a genius to understand that it would be fantastic to see all these artists coming over here to perform...

charly

Messagepar charly » 21/03/06 14:39

For the amateurs, here comes again the monster LP on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHOCK-Electrophonic ... dZViewItem

And I think this time, you'll be a few to fight for it!!!!

Good luck!!!!

Wonder B
Bibliothèque Nationale

Messagepar Wonder B » 21/03/06 15:00

THanks...
Wonder B

Sworn to fun

Loyal to none

skyyflow
LP's

Messagepar skyyflow » 06/10/06 14:33

Wonder B
Bibliothèque Nationale

Messagepar Wonder B » 07/10/06 12:15

I am so fu.... disgusted! LOL I would have put a bid on this one if I had only seen it on Ebay... seems like my advanced search didn't warn me about this one being up for sale... LOL

Bah... I've missed it so many times now...
Wonder B

Sworn to fun

Loyal to none

Charlie's Angels
Picture's Disc

Messagepar Charlie's Angels » 17/10/06 22:35

R U disgusted....If U knew for how much Skyyflow got his Lp, you would commit suicide....(Maybe by jumping out the airplane when flying over Portland?) No i cannot tell you, No I cannot...it is too hard for my heart....Oh my god....i cannot believe this....

Skyyflow, please give it up yourself....it is too much for me...Wonder could not be able to stand it, be careful....mind your words...
Keep on keepin' on the FUNK

Charlie's Angels
Picture's Disc

Messagepar Charlie's Angels » 17/10/06 22:52

Talking about rare Lp's, I just got yesterday the Lp of TTF: Ain't no doubt about it released in 1980 with the label RSO/Curtom. Musically not better than the Gold Coast Lp "Surprise, Surprise" but you won't find this one at all street corners....

Charlie's Angels
Picture's Disc

Messagepar Charlie's Angels » 12/06/07 22:13

Hey Girls and Guys,

I would like to say:"Listen very carefully and read my lips if you can"!!! I've news from Mister Shock "Roger Sause". He told me, he and his band SHOCK were getting ready a new compilation of most "unreleased stuffs" from the late 70's, early 80's. He pretends these things were under the best funky stuffs they ever made....Why not having edited them sooner, is a good question

He promised to keep me informed when this "gift" of Funk would be in the boxes. So, Girls and Guys, stay tuned....The Electrophonic Funk Band is coming back with Strenght....

Funkygirl
Ms Admynamite

Messagepar Funkygirl » 13/06/07 08:03

excellent news :cool:
Funkygirl ==> I'm a White Free Passionated Funkateer and I'm Proud !

Funkhome - The Funk & Groovy musics Forum
"Funkhome-Le forum de référence, souvent copié, jamais égalé" :cool: Jam & Lewis

Charlie's Angels
Picture's Disc

Messagepar Charlie's Angels » 18/11/09 16:49

I know it was a long time ago but I got news from mister Sause about this long time announced Compilation of Shock's Stuffs. Yesterday night I got a mail from Roger Sause himself confirming that this project was about to finally be finished and was nearly ready to be available on the market!!! It should be done for early 2010.

This Cd would content about 18 titels with 1) the Nebula Circle "Electrophonic Funk" LP remastered in his entirety and 2) a set of previously unreleased stuff from the good old time of that Band!!!

I'll keep you of course posted when and if the CD is commercially available!!!!

See ya...

pelekao
K7

Messagepar pelekao » 15/11/10 18:15

Merci, il sont deux grand LP! :smile:

Retourner vers « English Corner »