New NINO MOSCHELLA album 'Boom Shadow' due out May 19th

This Space is primary for the Foreign People : Talk here with us in English cause "One Nation Under a Groove..." :o)
Tha Funky Baldhead
K7

New NINO MOSCHELLA album 'Boom Shadow' due out May 19th

Messagepar Tha Funky Baldhead » 28/04/09 01:15

Nino Moschella
Boom Shadow
Ubiquity (UR251)
Release Date: May 19, 2009

What is Boomshadow? The made-up word is a fictional character Nino Moschella and some friends concocted nearly a decade ago. “He was a super hero. It was kind of ridiculous. He didn’t really have a specific power, he would just come onto the scene and save everybody,” he explains. Boomshadow came back to Moschella, with a different meaning, as an idea for the title of his sophomore album for Ubiquity. It is a warm cloak of sound emanating from your stereo. It envelopes and protects all who listen. It feels good to be in the warm pulse of the Boomshadow. Moschella likens it to listening from inside the womb. The feeling of being safe and being able to trust was key to the development of this album. With the practice and feedback from an extensive set of gigs under his belt, a new live band to back him, and a close-knit crew of collaborators to work with, Moschella has a deepened trust in his own musical ability. As a result Boomshadow reflects the continued refinement of Nino Moschella’s sound. His songs are more personal, and his production definitely has more boom.

The album launches with a frenetic flying kick to the eardrums, on an intro that reflects Moschellas' East Bay funk-inflicted home-base. It doesn’t let off the gas with the raw angular funk rock of “Sleep.” Fans of The Fix, his first album with Ubiquity, will recognize the progression from tracks like “Are You For Real” to the new, even more soulful sounds of “We Fight” (featuring Fanny Franklin), and on the disjointed head bumping “Around the World” and “Stella,” the tribute to his daughter. On the stripped down “What U Do 2 Me” he sings a twisted anti-ballad over horns and acoustic guitar, while the music on “Time of Day” and “I Love Myself” moves with a cosmic bounce that nods to all the funk elders and ancestors. Moschella’s unique homemade beats and unexpected embellishments are now backed with a fuller orchestration, and his arrangements are more dynamic. “The identity of this album was clear early on and the songs came more easily. It was less about sculpting something and more about trusting that the process would lead me in the right direction,” says Moschella. “I’ve become more comfortable with who I am as a person in this world and naturally that informs the music,” he adds.

Features/Reviews:
Elle
San Francisco Magazine
Red Bull Music Feature
The Onion, AV Club
Okayplayer
PopMatters
Keyboard
Metromix
Time Out
XLR8R

Radio/In-studio Performances:

May 19
Red Bull Radio - DJ Podcast
Worldwide

May 22
KUSF - DJ Set
San Francisco, CA

May 30
KALX - In-Studio Performance
Berkeley, CA

Tour Dates:

May 22 - Root Down - Los Angeles, CA
May 23 - Continetal Room - Fullerton, CA
May 24 - UCLA Jazz Reggae Festival w/ Erykah Badu - Los Angeles, CA

Doumba Funk
Boutique de Disques

Messagepar Doumba Funk » 28/04/09 03:51

The original subject on Nino is here :

http://www.funkhome.com/nino-moschella- ... +moschella

Tha Funky Baldhead
K7

Messagepar Tha Funky Baldhead » 29/04/09 03:13

I saw that thread but it 's about the first album.

Not much info about the new album in your post. Anyways, I'll let him know the word is out in Europe :razz:

Doumba Funk
Boutique de Disques

Messagepar Doumba Funk » 29/04/09 08:28

No problem. My quote was just for linking the two threads :smile:

Doumba Funk
Boutique de Disques

Messagepar Doumba Funk » 20/05/09 02:10

Retourner vers « English Corner »